Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Module 3

The news oriented ezine http://www.dailykos.com/ is political and focuses on presidential candidates, national, and local economic issues. It is accompainied with news polls, many photos, links for suggested articles or further reading, and allows for comments to be published by its devoted readers.

The news oriented blog http://www.blogcatalog.com/blogs/the-conservative-post.html covers the conservative perspective of the news and current events. It mainly discusses topics associated with politics. This blog is based on the Reagan Conservative principles. "Rugged individualism, freedom, small government, strong military, low tax burden, respect for life, and strong family values best describe these principles."

I felt both of the sites were professional, strictly adhering to the ultimate mission and goal at hand. However, I do feel the Daily Kos was more effective at conveying their message in the articles across. They wrote in depth news articles and touched on all perspectives of the news story, not discounting anyone's opinions or thoughts. The Conservative Post is just that, conservative. Their articles were one sided and did not allow any room for debate. I easily found the Daily Kos using the search engine on Google, The Conservative Post was a little more difficult to find, considering that I had to search for blogs within blogs to locate this site. I feel both sites are credible and trustworthy. Some may believe the Daily Kos is more credible because of their all around approach in writing their articles and going a step further in linking other sites to theirs for additional reading and information. I do feel that a printed newspaper or magazine is more credible than any blog or e-zine. Printed sources have been in existance for much longer, and though it may not have the wide availability as an online source would, readers remain loyal to its printed counterpart. Online sources can contain untrustworthy information or resources easily adopted from anyother site.

The research material I found did support my thesis. On a scale from 1 to 5, I rate this a 4- Somewhat supports my thesis. Therefore, I do not wish to change my original thesis.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you were able to find your sources easily. I had a lot of trouble for some reason. I tried searches with "current events blog/ezine" or "news blog/ezine" and didn't get much. I guess there must be some other way to search, but I didn't know how. Anyway, the sites you found were great, even though like you said the blog was biased. At least it gave you one point of view clearly.